Thursday, January 13, 2011

Resolution Update

I rode eight miles today! It's a friend's birthday and a few of us got together to play games and eat the cake I baked. No one was incredibly happy to see me saddle up for the ride home in the dark, but I left them to their "safe" cars and enjoyed a few minutes of my city streets to myself.

My resolutions have been going well. I think a good goal is something that can bend without breaking. I didn't want to ride in a car all year, but I did borrow a vehicle to go grocery shopping for the house. I've been about 90% vegan so far this year, but wasn't quite ready to offer my friend a vegan birthday cake. At this stage, compromise is to be applauded. I can accept my shortcomings without indulging in them.

Two resolutions have been kept sacred, though. I am proud to have ridden every single day of 2011, despite the cold and rain and darkness. I am also quite pleased to have kept track of every cent earned and spent this year.

I can't say that I am 100% happy with how much we have spent. It seems like for every dollar I bring home, two go out for some need or other. Darling had to renew his drivers license, which we've put off since moving from Virginia, and that cost $25. We had to buy text books for his classes. And today I looked at his glasses and noticed that the anti-scratch coating is peeling off! He thinks you can get the coating repaired (replaced?), but I'm not sure about that. I asked him to hold tight for a few weeks while we meet our other immediate needs. If nothing else, I think his frames are at least in good enough shape that only the lenses will need replacing.

Work is great. I'm feeling comfortable cleaning my two houses and appreciate the extra easy income. Tomorrow I work at both the restaurant and the coffee shop, which should cover the rest of January's rent, and then I just need to start saving for February rent and Darling's tuition payment. It will feel good to be ahead again.

2 comments:

A. J. said...

Riding a bike is awesome! The first two weeks I starting riding to school I could barely make it back. After like eight tries I could feel my body getting stronger. By the end of the semester, I hardly broke a sweat during the uphill part of the ride. I wish you luck on following through with it, but it sounds like you won't be needing any :)

Anonymous said...

Look at you! I have unfortunately gotten rides in a car twice this year. First was when friends came into town and they wanted to go to the beach and needed directions and I didn't feel like riding over in the rain. Then it was vanpooling from Mexico after my first bike ride in Tijuana (the last trolley leaves at midnight or so and we wanted to stay beyond that).

I need to send you some actual mail and have been procrastinating on that for weeks!