Thursday, January 13, 2011

Feat Turned Fail

I have successfully ridden a bike every day this year, despite a handful of near-misses. Last week, for instance, I found myself waiting until the last minute on my days off work. I only rode seven miles in seven days.

I didn't get too down on myself though, because a) riding every day is pretty good, even when it's just a trip around the block, and b) I expected to definitely increase mileage with this week's supreme WIN.

I had an amazing plan, a feat of strength and heroics that would launch me directly into Godhood. My plan was to shop for the co-op groceries by bike. No doubt you think this is foolish, but it is highly unlikely you guess the extent of my foolishness. Shopping for our nine person household is generally a matter of two hours, two people, and a vehicle with a generous trunk.

Last year we purchased a custom bike trailer so that the shopping could be done by the cyclists, but only one of my house mates has ever used it for this purpose. She caught me trying to attach the hitch and insisted that, at the very least, I give the unloaded trailer a test ride before committing to a full trip.

Soon I was cruising downtown, enjoying myself immensely, lightweight trailer in tow. But it didn't take me long to notice that even that small weight made hills exponentially more challenging, and a load of groceries would not improve matters. And then my leg suddenly hurt, and I decided to head back to the house

Moments later it came to my attention that I live on a hill. A tall hill, not steep by anyone's measurement, but steady enough to affect at least a mile of my route. I barely got to the top alive, gasping for hair, and thanking Jesus that I hadn't hundreds of pounds of groceries in tow.

I imagined myself making a four mile ride, buying $350 worth of vegetables and dried goods, and riding four miles back. Instead I rode a total of three miles and nearly passed out on a neighbor's lawn. FAIL.

Okay, not a total fail. I committed to practicing this trip regularly until this dream becomes a reality. How many people launch directly into Godhood anyway? I also took the time to think about how my shopping will change when I'm doing it by bike. I borrowed a car to do the house's shopping and was very careful to note how many pounds of bulk foods we purchase, arranging the shopping trip by weight and considering the perishable nature of foods (come Summer, dairy might be an issue on a bike ride home).

I'm hoping someday to look back on this post, having ridden thousands of miles and hauled countless pounds of groceries, and smile indulgently to myself. In the meantime, feel free to laugh out loud.

3 comments:

The Lost Goat said...

Kudos to you for trying it out. I think most people would have quit at the concept stage, and here you are figuring out how to make it a reality, even though it started out difficult. Sounds like you won't need to waste any money on a gym this year!

lizzie said...

Have you thought about doing the grocery trip in thirds. I know that would be time consuming on a bike but if the store isnt that far away maybe making multiple trips would spread the load - and dont feel bad about getting off the bike and pushing it up the hills - I do it all the time.......
I used to make multiple trips to the store (on foot about a mile) and can remember my mother doing the same thing. There are always ways of getting round using a car.

Anonymous said...

Trying is definitely key. I have a hard time figuring out how to bring home 30 pounds of bulk goods home and I live on top of a mesa and the co-op is at sea level and even though I ride every single day and have accumulated 200 miles, I still gasp and wheeze for air when I ride up teeny hills. I think I somehow managed to get out of shape despite daily riding. Maybe I should stop eating dessert every day?