Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dental Update and Happy Story

I just came back from the first part of my root canal! My face feels like it's on fire, but I'm so pleased to have taken yet another big step towards dental health :)

I'll be completing the procedure, cap and all, mid-January. Then I think there's just one more molar that needs expensive work: that which had a root canal last year but wasn't left with enough exposed crown to cap. They'll remove a bit of my gum line to finish the job, which should be an appropriately pleasant way to wrap up a series of pleasant procedures. Then it's just a matter of filling in a few cavities and I will be finished, possibly by my birthday. I couldn't ask for anything more precious.

Before my root canal I rode the bus downtown to make a couple of bank deposits. Waiting at the stop to get home, a handful of under-and-unemployed folks greeted a new comer, who proceeded to share an amazing story. He was at Occupy Austin playing his guitar when a woman approached him. She asked if he believed in Jesus, and he said yes. She asked him what it would take to get his life together, and he responded, "transportation and money."

"Get on Craigslist," she said, "and find transportation."

He found a vehicle priced at $6,000. She bought it for him, apparently on the spot. Then she asked how much money he thought he needed. He figured that to get an apartment, pay the first and last month deposit, buy some work clothes, and enough food to get through a few months, he would need $5,000.

She handed him a cashiers check.

Then she left. I don't know how she bought a car and registered it in his name, or how long it took this all to transpire, but she didn't even tell this guy her name. She just handed over $11,000 and walked away. She didn't know him from Adam, but pretty much completely changed his life. Not only with a financial favor, not only by providing him with the chance to shower and eat and show up to interviews looking respectable, but this guy was rocked to his core. Her kindness made him want to be kind, to be a better person because he couldn't stand the idea of wasting this wonderful stranger's small fortune.

Maybe someday soon I can find a way to be that kind to a stranger...

5 comments:

The Lost Goat said...

What a great story! It made my day. Glad to hear your dental health is getting better.

lizzie said...

If some kind relative wants to gift you for Xmas invest in an electric toothbrush like Sonicare. Pricey but not compared with dental work and you can get them on sale around now. It does a great job in keeping your teeth clean which is where you need to start.
Dont think of it as a luxury - you have a long way to go with your teeth........do take the utmost care of them.

Serendipity said...

Getting your dental woes taken care of is probably the most satisfying thing ever. I should know! Good luck to getting the rest taken care of friend. Teeth are so painful and so sensitive, physically and emotionally.

~Carla~ said...

Loved the story! :) Stuff like this always renews my faith in humanity!

So glad you're getting your teeth taken care of..dental work is crazy expensive! :(

~Carla~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.